A woman who contracted mesothelioma after washing her husband’s asbestos-contaminated clothing has been awarded £700,000 in damages, reports the Evening Standard.
Ronald Haxton died in 2009 from mesothelioma that he contracted as a result of exposure to asbestos dust during his job dismantling old boilers. His wife, Monica, used to hand-wash his overalls that were covered with the asbestos dust, and in 2012 she was diagnosed with the same fatal condition.
Mr Haxton’s employers had admitted liability for his death, but had rejected a negligence claim over her own terminal illness. However, the Appeal Court found in Mrs Haxton’s favour and ordered the company to pay compensation.