The family of Lilian Hugill have been awarded compensation after the 84-year-old died while under the care of the staff at York Hospital, reports the Daily Telegraph.
Mrs Hugill was being treated in the hospital for a bladder infection but during her stay staff didn't notice that she wasn’t wearing the bottom part of her denture set and therefore wouldn’t be able to chew food properly. This oversight occurred even though paperwork would have reminded staff to check.
Mrs Hugill should have been given soft food to eat in these circumstances, but instead received an egg sandwich. She subsequently choked while trying to eat the sandwich, and suffered a heart attack and injury to the brain as a result of a lack of oxygen. She died a week later.
An inquest into her death found she had suffered an accidental death.
A spokesperson for the hospital apologised for the incident and said that a settlement had been reached with Mrs Hugill’s family.
If you or a family member has suffered an injury as a result of someone else’s negligence then you may be entitled to compensation. Our expert personal injury lawyers at Lawford Claims provide a great service which is tailored to the needs of our clients. Solicitors at Lawford Claims will work to the best of their abilities to ensure their clients get the compensation they deserve. If you think you are entitled to compensation, contact us today.