Scottish Power has appeared in Dunfermline Sheriff Court on health and safety charges after a worker sustained serious scald injuries at Longannet Power Station near Alloa in October 2013.
The man was working as a plant controller for ScottishPower Regeneration Limited (SPGL). In the course of his work he opened a faulty valve which emitted high pressure, high temperature steam. He sustained serious burns to his chest and legs.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) carried out an investigation into the incident and found that SPGL were aware of the defect but did not ensure appropriate steps were taken to either repair or remove the valve from use.
The Glasgow based company pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £1.75 million.
“The plant controller suffered severe and life changing injuries,” commented HSE principal inspector Fiona MacNeill, speaking after the hearing. “This case has highlighted the importance for every employer of ensuring that systems are in place for maintaining work equipment in a safe condition, efficient working order and in good repair.”
The latest HSE statistics show that 142 workers were killed at work during 2014/15, and 76,000 other injuries to employees were reported under RIDDOR.
In addition, 1.2 million workers suffered from an illness they believed was caused or made worse by their work, of which 0.5 million were new conditions that started during the year.
Contains public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government Licence.
For professional legal advice on the issues discussed here, or on any other personal injury matter, contact our expert personal injury lawyers today.
We're here to help
Talk to one of our expert compensations lawyers today
Call us on 01312255214
Accreditations & Memberships