A builder has pleaded guilty to a contravention of Sections 3 and 33 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 at Haddington Sheriff Court, and was fined £15,000.
The builder had been contracted to rebuild the chimney on a property in Gifford but failed to ensure that it was fully cleared of any debris and masonry materials that had fallen in. The chimney was therefore still blocked when the family who lived there used the fire in the living room.
The blockage impeded the combustion process of the solid fuel fireplace, and caused the fumes from the fireplace to build up, causing an accumulation of carbon monoxide to which the three occupants of the house were exposed. A 60-year-old woman died as a result of the exposure.
Following the case, Elaine Taylor, Head of the COPFS Health and Safety Division, said:
"This case demonstrates yet again the importance of employers and contractors being aware of the risks not only to their own employees, but to all of those who may be affected by the work they carry out.
"If the builder had taken the simple steps necessary to identify the risks associated with his work and acted upon them, Mrs Ross would not have lost her life in an entirely avoidable incident.”
Expert claims & compensation solicitors. We can help you if you have suffered an accident or injury in Scotland. https://lk.mooretechnology.co.uk Call 0800 027 1480
We're here to help
Talk to one of our expert compensations lawyers today
Call us on 01312255214
Accreditations & Memberships
* Unlike many personal injury lawyers in Scotland, we provide you with 100% of the compensation awarded with no ‘success fee’. What our firm offers is better than no win no fee as that implies if you do win then you do pay a fee; however with our firm you receive 100% of your compensation.